National Capital Region
Genesys Works is a nonprofit organization that trains and employs high school seniors to perform professional services for major corporations. Our mission is to provide pathways to career success for high school students in underserved communities through skills training, meaningful work experiences and impactful relationships.
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Genesys Works National Capital Region (NCR). In partnership with the ED, this position will have primary responsibility for all fundraising and development activities including solicitation of major gifts, institutional & foundation grants, management of special events, and donor relationships. The Director of Development will work closely with the local Board of Directors and National Development Team in support of fundraising efforts. As a new site, the Director of Development will have the opportunity to create, establish and launch the Development function within NCR.
We seek a candidate who believes deeply in our organization’s mission and the population we serve, thrives in the dynamic work environment of a growing organization, has a well-developed fundraising philosophy, is highly organized, and is excited by the challenge of setting the vision for and building an exemplary fundraising operation.
- Actively work with the ED and stakeholders to design & implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual giving and corporate, foundation, government grants and sponsorship.
- Raise the profile of the organization among local foundations and policy
- Collaborate with Genesys Works National Development Team to coordinate local/national development
- Collaborate with Genesys Works national Marketing & Communications to coordinate marketing and communications efforts in the national capital
Major Gifts/Donor Activities, Institutional Fundraising, and Events
- Actively cultivate, solicit and steward foundation partners & prospective partners – manage prospect lists to identify, cultivate and solicit grants/sponsorships and develop individual giving platforms.
- Build and maintain relationships in the community that will lead to the development of new revenue and greater exposure for the
- Manage research, development and execution of all grant
- Lead the development and execution of major event strategy &
Management of Development Activities
- Develop and lead the Development team, enabling a high level of productivity and continued professional growth and
- Accountable for developing & managing Department budget and overall
- Ensuring all Development activities are tracked, monitored and analyzed in Salesforce and provide reports as
- Oversee gift processing and donor relations, work with the National Development Team to ensure timely acknowledgement & recording of all
- Oversee monthly and annual reconciliation of development and accounting
- 3-5 years of professional experience; demonstrated success as a leader within a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- 1-3 years of experience of having expanded and cultivated major gift donor relationships
- Ability to think strategically and develop successful fundraising strategies for growth
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral); ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational & management skills with attention to detail
- Adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently, but also a team player will productively engage with others at varying levels within and outside Genesys Works NCR
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- High energy and passion for Genesys Works NCR’s mission is essential
- Focus on high quality customer service to internal and external clients, including the board, institutional funders, corporate partners, and staff
Successful candidates will possess demonstrated experience in three or more of the following areas:
- Major donor/gifts
- Program management
- Grant writing and foundation relations
- Corporate relations
- Marketing and communications
These qualifications are preferred:
- Experience with mass solicitation and donor retention strategies
- Experience working with fundraising systems (i.e. Salesforce) and Microsoft Office applications
Including, but not limited to standing and sitting for long periods of time; speaking loudly and clearly; seeing and hearing things both near and far away; and reaching, stooping, kneeling, and fine-finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board, or projector. Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading. Employee may be required to walk for long distances at event venues, corporate partner locations, or other relevant sites. Most work environments are climate-controlled, open space floor plans.
Genesys Works is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. Employment decisions at Genesys Works are based on organizational needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Genesys Works will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind based on any these characteristics. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff and corporate partners are essential to successfully executing our organizational mission. As such, we seek to recruit, support, develop, and retain high caliber talent from a diverse candidate pool that both complements and reflects the students we proudly serve.
In our quest to be a nonprofit employer of choice, we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-paid life and disability insurance
- Generous time off to include vacation, wellness, and (10) company paid holidays
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with company match
- Flexible work arrangements
- Fun company-sponsored events, and celebrations to honor our students and staff
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.