National Office (Houston preferred)
Genesys Works is a nonprofit organization that trains and employs high school seniors to perform professional services for major corporations. Our mission is to provide pathways to career success through skill training, meaningful work experiences, and impactful relationships. The Genesys Works headquarters is located in Houston, TX (National Office). The National Office provides support and services to our six program locations across the country: Houston, Twin Cities, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area, the greater Washington, D.C. area, and New York City.
Purpose of Position
As a member of the National team, the Public Relations Specialist will be responsible for the execution of Genesys Works’ PR and media strategies and tactics with a primary focus on national media. The position is responsible for conducting media outreach regarding Genesys Works’ news, programs, events and initiatives; coordinating incoming media requests; drafting media materials including but not limited to news releases, media alerts, contributed articles and fact sheets; drafting key messages and talking points for Genesys Works spokespeople; assisting with media training; providing PR assistance and counsel to Genesys Works sites as necessary and requested; monitoring Genesys Works’ media coverage and providing recommendations and analysis based on the coverage; and providing general support to the Marketing and Communications team.
• Develop and execute PR strategies for Genesys Works’ initiatives, events, programs and corporate partner news, working in coordination with the MarComm team as well as key internal stakeholders.
• Develop and refine Genesys Works’ “core” messages to ensure organizational consistency
• Provide media relations counsel to Genesys Works sites as necessary or requested. This includes creating a communications plan, drafting messaging and talking points, press releases, and providing media training to site spokespeople.
• Identify proactive media opportunities and conduct outreach that can generate additional positive media coverage for Genesys Works and incorporate its key messages; identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support Genesys Works’ work, and create and implement plans to support them
• Track and maintain all PR clips and calendars
• Manage and coordinate responses for media inquiries, surveys and corporate communication requests by providing general information, partnership details, financial and fundraising data, and photos; selecting appropriate subject matter experts; and arranging media interviews. Establish and maintain effective relationships with media.
• Draft media materials including press releases, media advisories, fact sheets and content for inclusion on Genesys Works’ website, social media pages and internal/external publications.
• Manage outreach, dissemination and evaluation processes of Genesys Works news through proactive pitching, target audience selection, media reporting and news distribution on wires and Genesys Works’ website and social channels.
• Monitor Genesys Works’ media coverage.
• Lead media training and facilitate message briefings to prepare CEO, senior leadership, and Executive Council for media and corporate communications requests. Develop and provide key messages and talking points.
• Manage vendor relationships, including media monitoring services and newswire
Breakdown of Responsibilities
Core Responsibilities (70%)
Site Support (25%)
• Deep belief in organizational mission
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or closely related field
• At least 2-3 years of directly related professional experience
• Proven ability to work collaboratively within a team and cross-departmentally
• History of successfully implementing public relations campaigns and initiatives
• Thorough knowledge of current and emerging public relations issues and trends
• Strong knowledge of media, with proven track record of placements in top news media
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills, with mastery of AP style
Including, but not limited to standing and sitting for long periods of time; speaking loudly and clearly; seeing and hearing things both near and far away; and reaching, stooping, kneeling, and fine-finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board, or projector. Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading. Most work environments are climate-controlled, open space floor plans. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be sent to National Human Resources.
Genesys Works is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. Employment decisions at Genesys Works are based on organizational needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Genesys Works will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind based on any these characteristics. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff and corporate partners are essential to successfully executing our organizational mission. As such, we seek to recruit, support, develop, and retain high caliber talent from a diverse candidate pool that both complements and reflects the students we proudly serve.
In our quest to be a nonprofit employer of choice, we offer:
• Competitive compensation
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Company-paid life and disability insurance
• Generous time off to include vacation, wellness, and (10) company paid holidays
• 403(b) retirement savings plan with company match
• Flexible work arrangements
• Fun company-sponsored events, and celebrations to honor our students and staff